Friday, December 12, 2008

AM I CRAZY?

AM I CRAZY?

FROM AN EMAIL TO FRESHJIVE:

Hello.

I found one of your shirts in a store in Brisbane, Australia and was more than a little shocked. I think the shirt requires some explanation. Can you explain to me why your shirt features a graphic that shows striking resemblance to a swastika? I consider myself a reasonable person, so I think it's fair to assume that Freshjive does not actually support the Nazi Party, or any of it's current neo parties. Nor would I assume to believe that Freshjive actually condones the atrocities commited by the Nazi Party.

While it is true that Buddhist cultures, as well as some Native American cultures do use swastikas in their artworks and as decoration, I am not naive enough to believe that this shirt (or anything else for that matter) can use a swastika on a commercial product and think it is an appropriate symbol.

I am a graphic designer myself, I know that sometimes when creating graphics you can miss the forest for the trees. You can come up with an idea that seems cool, and totally loose sight of the bigger picture. That is a reasonable excuse. HOWEVER, it is NOT reasonable for a person in charge of quality control, or in any sort of position of approval to miss such an obvious mistake.

I would like to know what you plan on doing regarding this matter. And I think an apology for such a horrendous blunder is completely within reason. Finally I am going to assume that you will be pulling this shirt from stores, and whoever was responsible for this to be dealt with in whatever manner you see fit.

From
An annoyed FORMER Freshjive customer,
Elliott Scott

No comments: