Monday, June 11, 2007

PAINTINGS FROM PARADISE, WEB SITE FROM HELL (updated)

PaintingsFromParadise

SO I'M HAVING A TOUGH TIME BUILDING A WEBSITE! "A website," you ask, "But isn't that what graphic designers do?" "No", I flatly reply. "That's what graphic designers who are good at web stuff do, I am not, and therefore I don't do. I don't do one bit!" Um... Anyway I'm building my dad's website, but am having a tough time doing it! Man, web sucks! I mean it's just so fiddly and annoying! Print is so much better! "But what's the difference?", you ask. "Shut up!", I yell.

My dad's paintings are so nice, and they deserve a nice website, something simple and elegant. I'm doing my freaking best to give him, and them, that, but it's hard!

Anyway, check out the site-in-progress here. And give me much feedback. OR do it for me. Yeah, that option is better. Or if you don't want to wade through the site, but you still want to see the paitings, you can check them out on Flickr.

IESSO

PfromP-site-revised

IT MAY NOT LOOK radically different, but the site has been given a major makeover! With frames! It's very rough around the edges, probably even rougher than before, but it's very late and I'm falling asleep. More work tomorrow.

Here's that link again: here.

IESSO

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, you should let go of Golive and embrace the weaver. Don't fear the weaver. Could really benefit from some embedded frames or ajax -- but that might be beyond your skills ATM? It looks fine, but you might want the thumbnails a bit bigger. I feel like I've seen that portrait of whoopie somewhere else on the web?

Also, Stanstead 11.00am 23rd june. Yep.

Kat said...

Hey Elliott,

as far as I remember frames were bad, right? Cos of the whole web-compliancy thing for visually-impaired people?
Anyhow, I fully agree with Linus, EMBRACE THE WEAVER! Plus, you should get CS3, the dreamweaver capabilities in cs3 are F*ING AMAZING!!! There are even css templates for dividing up your page, so you don't even need to use frames! DW does all the css for you. There is also some kind of dynamic html thing that it can do for you, i can't remember quite how it works, but I went to a presentation and the guy was showing us how by clicking on a little link (your thumbnails), it brings the image up large, and with additional info if you want in a place you specify. you it'll look exactly how you designed it (nice btw, love the simple and clean), but the back-end will be neater. Anyhow, you can probably check it out on adobe website.
By the way, your dad rocks, how cool that he worked on Ghost!! :)
Hope you're well, sounds like you guys are having an awesome experience!!
Kat

Unknown said...

Dude, that's a lot better. Eh, don't worry about visually impaired people -- they don't appreciate painting anyway!

Just one thing, you probably don't need to have a 2 images for your rollover effect on the thumbnails. You could just do that lightening effect with CSS opacity it's not such a big deal i guess, but might make it easy to add and remove images later on. Also, the mouseover image for "Islander in Canoe" is wrong.

Big step forward though, nice!