Sunday, August 12, 2007

LESS THAN MEETS THE EYE. MUCH, MUCH LESS.

Transformers

WE WENT TO SEE TRANSFORMERS LAST NIGHT and I just wanted to give my review. Before I start though, I should mention that I am not a fan of the 80's TV show or movie. Not because I didn't want to be, I just didn't get into it. Anyway with that being said:

Transformers was a very good movie. The action sequences were really cool! The fighting, the explosions. All totally awesome. Even the cheesy dialogue from the Autobots was bearable. It was really cheesy though. The human characters were very poor though. VERY POOR. Not so much the acting, that was fine, but they were just unnecessary. I appreciate that Sam/Spike Whitwicky was crucial, as well as some supporting characters, but overall there just seemed like too many characters with too little explanation about them.

That's all ok too.. I don't really mind that either. But another thing that bothered me was the direction the film went. At some points it was comical and funny, which was clearly based on the 80's stuff. If this style was throughout I would've had no problems, I wouldn't have liked it so much because I was never a fan, but I wouldn't have been annoyed either. Similarly most of the film is extremely serious and realistic, and that is great! It's a movie for people who grew up with the franchise and have now matured and want a mature film dealing with talking car robots. And that's fine too! BUT the problem is that right at the height of action they'd switch to comical farce mode and completely ruin the moment.

That's really annoying, but it's still not the worse part. There is a character that really ruins the movie for me, he's called Frenzy and was based on Soundbyte, but is smaller and thinner. Without ruining anything by giving away plot details all I can say is he is basically Jar Jar Binks. Remember Star Wars was pretty awesome untill JJB started speaking gibberish, well it's that all ovre again. You'd think Hollywood would learn it's lesson after him, but there was Golemn as well (not too annoying, but slightly) and now this robot thing. Very annoying. No-one in the theatre laughed at his 'jokes'.

Is the movie for kids? No, it doesn't establish what is going on at all and is very violent. Is it for diehard fans of the original? I don't think so, most of the characters have been radically changed! Is it for hipster kids who think it's cool to like Transformers for their 'ironic' values? Probably. I went to see it because it looked like a load of fun. And it really was, don't get me wrong, it was great fun! But there were a few elements in there that were it's own undoing.

What would I give it? Mixed reviews:

✭✭½ for the movie as is
✭✭✭✭½ for the movie re-edited to remove Frenzy's voice.

IESSO

PS. YOU CAN BUY ME ONE OF THESE IF YOU WANT.

iMac

But make sure it's the 24inch one with 4GB of RAM and 1TB harddrive.

No comments: