Saturday, November 12, 2005

ALL IN THE FAMILY

Cooper-Family

I'm just gonna start off with a little speil about Cooper. It's totally my favourite typeface, but the weights other than black are so cool, yet so underused. What is up with that? And if anyone knows where I can get the roman versions of the non-black weights, let me know. Thanks

And now for our feature presentation: THE EXHIBITION

A generally successful night despite the high levels of stress, nerves, tension and anxiety. Nothing a few beers couldn't fix anyway. Arrived at 4pm to set up my folio, nope still being built. I didn't really help out at all, didn't feel so good, and my finger was hurting so didn't really bother. The space looked pretty good though. I was quite impressed. Or at least I was expecting a lot worse.

Hung around till 6-ish then went to the pub for a pre-exhibition beer and smoke. Calmed my nerves. Went to an EXPENSIVE Japanese resturant with UNG to eat something (hadn't eaten since lunch the previous day) and we ordered some crazy foods. Nothing too insane, but a whole deep-fried pike with a gross filling was not your average student meal. Anyway Nazlyn and Linus joined us, and it was good. I felt bad because I was spending Linus's money and ordered a big meal, but he didn't have enough for his own food. Um.. yeah. Sorry about that dude. I can understand you being pissed off.

Anyway we went to the exhibition, it was full of people. Talked/listened/pretended to listen. I wasn't really in a good mood for mingling so I was kinda awkward the whole night. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Not my intention. ANYWAY stayed there for a number of hours taking photos (which will be posted soon!) and blah blah blah.

HEARD OVER THE GRAPEVINE:

1. THE GOOD: Colin wouldn't tell me my mark, but did tell me it was 'very high', over 82%, which is good. He was being very coy about it all. Which is puzzling.
2. THE BAD: The thing Sebastian said about me. Which is kind of upsetting. See post below.
3. THE UNBELIEVABLE: Mary came up to me after talking to the head of Minale Bryce [a big-name design studio] who told her that he liked my folio the best of all of them. Which is odd. It's flattering, but also strange because the work they do, and the work I thought I did are very different.

Afterwards we went to the Ship-Inn for some drinks and THAT was fun. I so much prefer sitting around with friends and beers talking and joking than pretending to be adult and professional. Hate 'networking' like you wouldn't beleive. Colin and Don [our lecturer + head of design] came down to the pub, drunk, and joined us. That was good. Colin said some very encouraging things, although I'm not sure how much of it was real, and how much was drunk-talk. He also said Sebastian thinks very highly of me too, which is so confusing. He's friendly to me, joking and whatnot, but behind my back to my peers he says mean things, but to my lecturers he says good things? I'm not sure what his story is, but it hurts my feelings. I looked up to him, and to have your mentor treat so strangely isn't nice.

Anyway the friend and family night is on tuesday so I'm gonna take the rest of my photo's and then post them all up together. WITH CAPTIONS if you're lucky.

See ya then.
IESSO

PS. Overall it was a fun night, don't get me wrong; I had fun, and I intended this post to be a happy one, but it turned out a lot less happy than anticipated. I think I might be in a sad mood right now. Not so sure why. A few things in my personal life are a bit consuming of my thoughts, and the whole Sebastian thing has really got me down. Ordinarily my head would be HHHHUUUUUGGGGEEEEE from all the nice things people said, but it only takes one bad apple to spoil the broth? I might have mixed metaphors there...

6 comments:

Elliott Scott said...

thanks bec. you're awesomer.

sar86 said...

hey elliot, i'm gonna send you something which i think will interest you. don't delete it - its a competition to find Australia's best blog and i think that you could take it out.

Elliott Scott said...

Well thanks very much. We both know I won't win, but fingers crossed anyway! $10K, thats a whole big bucket of clams!

PS. 'Clams' is sucha great word for 'dollars'/'money', pity no-one uses it anymore.

sar86 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sar86 said...

You know at some stage you will realise that you are a GREAT designer...and even better...a great person. It's not about the 'clams' or the recognition, its about yourself finally acknowledging that you are probably the best [wait you are the best]- well that's what i wrote about your blog in my 25 word or less space, yes i used the opportunity to self promote to put in a bit of a plug for you. so just give it a try - hey think of it this way, worst comes to worst, at least you wont have the crappiest blog - that place is reserved for yours truly, haha...

by the way, i quite like the word 'moolah' for money...its got that little bit of sillyness and pizzazz.

Elliott Scott said...

wow. im speechless. i am without speech. thank you.