Tuesday, July 24, 2007

DAY 1

Brent

THE FIRST DAY WENT WELL. It was different from what I was expecting... equal parts more hectic and less hectic than I feared. The hours were long (8.30–6.30) and there's a lot to do, and it needs to be done well, but they pretty much left me alone to my own devices. I was expecting a team of PR-bots, as well as my bosses to be constantly monitoring me, but they didn't. When I showed them what I was doing they were pleased, but then just left me alone to continue.

There are a few unexpected things that I've never experienced in an office before:

- An elevator
- A fruit basket every morning
- A cafeteria
- A coffee maker that makes 7 kinds of coffee and 5 teas
- A Starbucks
- A reception area with sign-in sheets
- A mailroom with delivery people
- A phone book to contact people within the office
- 6 floors with well over 500 staff
- Ricky Gervais standing outside having a smoke

Today is now my second day at work, and it's going to be pretty intense I reckon. I need to get my work done today because I'm not going to be here tomorrow.
(I'm working on a freelance basis, so they only need me here for 2 days this week.)

UPDATE: They've asked me to stay on till the end of the week a few minutes ago. So that's more work, experience, and money!
UPDATE 2: I've had to remove some of the names and details. And officially I got it wrong when I said the workplace was a PR company. They're definitely advertising. And they company I'm in is purely design. Hope that clears things up.

Take care everyone.

IESSO

6 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elliott Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Great to hear you've got a whole week at Versace dude! That's what I forgot to ask though -- how did they find out about you? A recruiter or what? Do they know about your blog and are they cool with that?

Anyway, keep us in the loop as always!

Elliott Scott said...

Yeah, through a recruitment company. But it's not Versace... I guess that was a pun right?

Anyway I'm not mentioning anything about the company, or about the work I'm doing, so I can't see a problem with the blog...

What do you reckon.

PS> I saw Ricky Gervais. It wasn't a reference to the office, it really happened.

Anonymous said...

I hate to break it to you sunshine, but 8.30 - 6.30 is not "long hours".
I would have been really impressed if I only had to work those hours this week.

Elliott Scott said...

Well no, of it's not long hours really, but relative to the other jobs I've worked it's quite long. And of course that's only the demanded hours, you're usually expected to put in more time, and even more if there's a deadline. I've done a few all nighters in the past (9.00A-5.00P-9.00A-6.30P) and that is definitely a long time.