Wednesday, July 04, 2007

SAME OLD, SAME OLD...

WarIsPeace
Spies
Spies

ONCE AGAIN I'M PLAYING AROUND WITH 1984. It's just so perfect for experimentation. I think. Anyway I sent a brief to Colin (from uni) about a project I'm playing with. How do you launch a movie remake of 1984 without advertising that horrible TV show 'Big Brother'? It'd be a really tough challenge. And I don't know the answer. But I intend to find out.

I don't think this is the answer. It's too realistic and too propaganda-ish. It needs to be much more over the top. I think more Nazi-like! And even more intense. To show that it's fake, it has to be hyper-real. But the project would be good for students, getting them to think about the message, about type, about images, about identities (of all the different goverment departments) and most importantly about how it's marketed! Should be interesting.

And I'll keep trying.

IESSO

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmm -- interesting. Is it because the boy is sporting a Hitlereque combover? I like the effect on the WAR poster, but I don't think the Obliques, rotated to the angle of inclination is working on the second poster. Really like the SPIES text, that stands out, but the rest of the type isn't working for me. The capital T's in particular have kerning issues. But, good to see you doing some new stuff dude!