Sunday, February 12, 2006

ANOTHER BIG FIASCO

S-in-T-Poster-Collage

I GOT A FREELANCE JOB yesterday to do a poster for a theatre company. It was all good, the brief was interesting, I had an interesting concept, and it was all going ahead. I sent the client my price breakdown, and that's when the situation broke down as well. She called me, saying she didn't understand my costs. I told her that I was only going to charge her $200 for concept, $200 for final artwork and $100 for a postcard based on the original design.

She was shocked! She got all upset, like I had told her I killed her family. She thought I was going to do it for free. Apparently all the students in the past did it for the recognition. Uhuh. Well I ain't no student! I says: "This ain't amatuer hour, I'm not doing this for free!" She told me that if she liked the design she could give me $100 out of her own pocket. NOPE! I can't do that. If you don't like it, I've just wasted my time. She agreed to give me $100 for a concept and $150 if she wants it.

I agreed. Reluctantly. I need the money, otherwise I would've told to find someone else. It's high-time I put my foot down. I've bent over backwards to make clients happy. And they always end up screwing me over. I'm not the clients friend. And I don't have to build up a working relationship with a client, cuz I'm outta here soon.

Grumble grumble grumble! Was I being too harsh?

IESSO

PS. I don't want to hear any _complaints about Cooper or Clarendon! I figured that because she's paying so little I'm doing this how I want. And that means EXCATLY how I want, imagery, colors, fonts, everything.

4 comments:

sar86 said...

Harsh? No way! Is she legit? Seriously, a Theatre company can't be that bad off that they cant afford to pay for work.

I really hate those companies that take advantage of naive students/graduates by dangling the 'experience' carrot to compensate for a no-paying job or by advertising it as volunteer work. You should get paid for your work - You have to pay for that HECS debt somehow! [wait: hey, i just realised you dont have to pay for it - you guys are dodging it by going overseas...well then.!]

That's my rant.

Elliott Scott said...

What, you're serious? We'll be avoiding paying HECS? Are you sure?

sar86 said...

Yeah...I'm pretty sure that you dont have to pay HECS if you go to a foreign country [not including the UK, New Zealand and some other countries]. Since it's deducted out of your pay, if you're overseas they wont be able to do that. I'm not sure whether that applies to the States though. But once you come back to Australia and work here you get it deducted. I may be wrong and operation on old knowledge...but as far as i know, this is correct.

sar86 said...

Okay, turns out i'm right. You won't ever have to pay HECS if you never come back to Australia. But the HECS debt remains on your record at ATO, so like i said earlier, if you do choose to come back to Australia you will have to pay whatever you have accumulated[and the HECS may actually increase or decrease due to CPI (Consumer Price Index)].

If you want further confirmation, i suppose you could look it up on google.