Sunday, February 12, 2006

RETROSPECTICUS: A long post of moderate substance

I JUST READ LINUS'S POST ON HIS BLOG about how his iPod was stolen, and he put things into perspective. It got me thinking about how lucky I really am. I reread a bunch of old posts from this time last year. A lot has changed.

1 YEAR AGO: The pool party/Luau. I promised everyone to get laid, and to my knowledge no-one did. Yep. Figures.

THE-Shot

ANYWAY

MY LIFE has changed a lot, and my outlook has changed too. Here is good stuff, in list form!

1. I am in a happy, loving relationship with a girl who's name I can't mention and for all you know could be made up! But I am happy and lucky to have met someone like her, who not only do I get along with great, but am inspired by, in awe of, and respect, but also love and loved by in return.

2. My career, while not exactly going anywhere at the moment may be soon enough. I have graduated (not officially yet) from my university course after 5 years of study, with top portfolio, and am gaining some confidence in my work. Or at least my outlook on future career plans. I'm not saying my work is great, but it's a lot better than it was even 6 months ago. Liveworm has helped a lot, and UNG has helped a lot too! But also my friends, mainly but not restricted to my fellow designers have always given me honest opinions that I am usually too proud to listen to, but end up using their advice in the end.

3. I have a goal for the short-term and long-term futures; travelling in April to the UK, Europe and USA. I will look for work there and hopefully get some good experience at some cool studios and do some cool stuff. I will also finally start exploring the world that I've peered out to from the fishtank of Australia (no-offense, but it is FAR away) and will have the adventures I crave.
In the long-term I plan on getting 5-10 years experience at studios doing some designs, hopefully building up at least a small amount of recognition and open my own studio. I plan on doing something similar to the Liveworm situation, but more to do with travelling designers, offering somewhat of a half-way house for vagrant designers. And designers straight out of uni. No-one gives them jobs, but I will! I will.

4. I am also starting to get some recognition and praise from clients (ok, they're just the uni) but the same clients keep coming back to me for work to get done. I like that feeling, I'm not just a designer, I'm Elliott. They want ME to do their work, not just anyone. Which is a new feeling for me. And I honestly like it. Fine, call me vain or narcassistic or whatever, but I'm just being honest.

5. I have a new Powerbook and iPod and other material possesions that are just posessions, but I like them, and am thankful to have them. They let me work at home, and stay awake on the train. So it's all good.

6. I have a supportive family, and my health, and all the other stuff that I take for granted. But I had that a year ago too, so it's not at the top of my list.

7. Lastly, and maybe most importantly; my mental health has drastically improved over the last year. I was reading those posts, and damn, they're depressing. Even the name 'Mondayne' is sssoooo depressing. I really am not the same person I was a year ago. I like this new me, and gosh-darnit (yeah, that's right!) I'm gonna enjoy this! Because it might not last forever. Although I hope it does!

IESSO

1 comment:

sar86 said...

You guys leave in April?! Geez, so soon. Good riddance i say, i never did like you. haha - i'm just kidding. You are a very, ah, 'interesting' person. WEll, we have to do something before you leave.