Sunday, June 26, 2005

THE THINGS I DO FOR PEOPLE (shakes head in disgust)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADAM! It's Tanner's 22nd Birthday today, and I want to wish him a happy birthday online. Despite the fact he doesn't read this. um..... yeah..




ALSO: Weirdness. Major Weirdness.

I woke up very much late for work (1.30pm instead of 6.30am) and was supposed to go to work to print Tanners book. CRAP! I get up, have a shower, etc etc, and leave for the bus. Hopefully if I can get the bus that lets me catch the 3.00 train, things will be ok.

I’m walking to the bustop when a car pulls over. An old lady is talking to me, really quietly talking (think Seinfeld and the puffy shirt!) and I’m struggling to hear what she’s saying. I think she’s asking for directions to Southport. I oblige.

But I’m standing in the rain, potentially going to miss my bus and generally struggling explaining/hearing things. I ask for a ride, and I can show them, rather than just explaining.

They agree. I get it. The car smells like old people, of course.

I show them how to get to the main road, and explain how to get to Southport. Except the journey took a lot longer than it needed too. The speed limit for Discovery Drive is 60kph, they were only just over 40. Cars were zooming by. But luckily they were driving in the cycling lane. Most of the journey was peppered with ‘THUMP’ ‘THUMP’ of them driving over the road markers where the cycle lane starts. They didn’t mind, so neither did I. Poor cyclists though.

Anyway I got the train an hour early, they got to Southport. A win-win I guess. As the Simpsons song goes in the musical ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’: “You can always depend on the kindness of strangers!”

I’m Elliott Scott, washing the old people out of my clothes, signing off

No comments: