Friday, August 05, 2005

YOU'RE CUTE WHEN YOU'RE ANGRY

Don't even get me started about today. Ok, too late, look what you gone and made me do. I'M ANGRY! I've just turned green and but not any more muscular. >sigh<

We selected the theme for out end-of-year graduation catalog, which showcases our work. That's fine, I had no problems with that. The thing that got me angry was a few peoples attitudes. They don't seem to have any sense of humour. (for the record 2/3 of them were German. Zee Germans are not a funny people. I'm not embracing stereotype, this is through observation only)

1. K_t - Will was standing on the stage of the lecture theatre: "I'm taller than you all!" He was obviously just being goofy. K_t replies with a little-miss-know-it-all attitude: "That's because you're standing on the stage." I'm shocked by this. Firstly he wasn't talking to her. And secondly we are well aware of that. "Yeah, no shit K_t. Thanks for informing us." I'm REALLY sick of her attitude. She's not better than us, despite what she think.

2. K_m - She's not as annoying, but like K_t a Nazi sympathiser, so I'm not exactly jumping at the chance to be her friend. We were looking at some of the concepts and we came across a REALLY cool one. The theme we all had to use was White Space, yes, shitty, but the theme nontheless. This person had a blank auditorium with a beam of light shining onto a single chair illuminating it. A good idea for several reasons: they are the chosen one in a design sense, they are the centre of attention, and also it plays with the space theme and aliens and all. A really nice concept. "No!", K_m says. I question her. "It makes me think of aliens", she replies. "Yeah exactly, it's a cool concept. It works on so many levels", people are agreeing with me... "No. I don't want to get abducted on our graduation." She gives me a look of disgust with a forced smile. Wait a minute, she thinks that by having an image that sorta could me alien abduction she's gonna ACTUALLY get abducted. Where's your sense of fun!?

3. J____n - 'Where's your sense of fun?' Applies to this guy more than anyone else. I REALLY don't like him. He censors people all the time. ALL the time. It's annoying. Anything moderatly offensive gets him angry, actually angry, and he has absolutely no sense of humour when it comes to sexuality, religion, politics, or anything and everything else in life. Don't get me wrong religion is fine but to wave it around and stop people from living a life that they choose is offensive. I don't tell him that what he believes is wrong, why should he. I think he's wrong, but I don't tell him.
So anyway we're selecting themes. J____n is the main voice for some reason. Probably becuase he's on the commitee. Colin seems to be listening to him and only him despite mine and Elvira's protests. Idea after idea are presented, some are really interesting and out-there, and he flatly rejects them because "they're not what we're about". For example there was an interesting one which the concept wasn't that great anyway but he rejected it based solely on the colour used. "As a bloke I think it's too feminine." I think it's really sad that A) as a designer he is afraid of pink. Surely he could appreciate the correct use of EVERY color, despite stereotype color notions and B) The color could easily be changed. And B2) It wasn't even pink, it was a slightly pinkish red.
Another idea he rejected was an awesome idea based on photographs of ultra-sounds of babies in the womb. We're about to be born and all that as a metaphor. It was beautiful graphics. Absolutely gorgeous. J____n rejected it straight away. Why? Because it could be related to abortion. No. I completely disagree. Mothers who love their children enough to go and get an ultrasound and keep that photo of their unborn child probably won't have the child aborted. Besides, it's much too late in the development stage to abort anyway. But despite logic he rejected it. I FLIPPED. NO! We can't be doing this. Anything slightly controversial can't be rejected straight away simply because it offends poor J_____n. Everything offends him! I put it in the yes pile despite what he said. We voted, it ended up getting chosen.
He also went out of his way to tell me he didn't like my design. Why? Because of it's references to drug culture, that offended him. I did a 60's psychadelic peacock that admittedly had references to drug culture, but so what? Just because the image references a certain culture doesn't mean we're all a bunch of stoners. I think people are intellegent enough to realise that graphic designers can use imagery and be influenced by other cultures without nessesarily being intertwined. But it just annoyed me that me made special mention of disliking mine. I thought his was an utter joke, as with ALL of his work, but I don't think telling him that is a particularly nice thing to do. He always criticises, never points out the good things. It's annoying.

Ok, fine, whatever! I'm making nothing into something, but I seriously was pissed off. I stormed into Liveworm, cursing and yelling and kicking up a big stink. I was annoyed. "We're all doomed! J_____n is choosing the catalog concept!" Everyone sighed. Sebastian looked shocked. No-one could understand how Colin could allow the ultra-conservative so much power in the selection process. It's just ridiculous. If we wanted to be conservative we would have been accountants. Artists are always liberal. Always. And they're innovative and edgy and exciting, and these themes should be in our catalog, not safe, dry and dull.


IESSO


PS. The reason I'm awake at 4.ooam is because someone decided to start drilling in the house next to us. Real nice. Thanks.

PPPS. I just thought I might elaborate on the nature of the Nazi sympathising. K_t got annoyed at me when I was randomly bad-mouthing Hitler, which I think is an ok thing to do (the badmouthing, not the defending). "You know really was an intellegent man*, who did a lot of good things for the country", she informs me. Yes, I am well aware that he brought the country out of major economic recession and was probably not too dumb, BUT he did order the murder of 6 million people and more if he had the chance and start some little conflict, what was it called? World War 1? Nah, that's not it... Maybe WW2?! F*cking pissed me off. I wasn't even being serious when I was talking about him. I can acknowledge that he did do some good, but I don't think it needs to be brought up as defense whenever I make a negative reference to him. He was a bad man. Don't forget that.
Also K_m said something even worse, but I can't quite remember what it was. Possibly defending the concentration camps and the gassing of people. I don't understand how she can defend this action while still claiming to not be racist. What a f*cking bitch. How dare she!?

PPPPS. If you want to post some sort of comment on how you love Hitler or something, or try to defend him I will delete it straight away. This is MY blog and I will determine what can and can't be said. With that in mind that and ONLY that topic will be censored. I am not willing to budge on this stance whatsoever. Everything else is completely fair game though. If you're religiously inclined and disagree with my stance on disestablishmentarianism feel free to let me know. Or if you think liberalism and art shouldn't mix, please tell me. But don't defend Hitler. He was wrong to do what he did, and that's final.

* There has been evidence that Hitler was not at all intellegent, as well as evidence that he was extremely intellegent. Intellegence aside; morals should play a role in determining the nature of a person

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You so read my mind just now - except you are WAY more mad.

Elliott Scott said...

You're damn right I'm mad. I've never really wanted to hit anyone before, but I wanted to hit J_____n the other day. He REALLY pissed me off. The more I think about it, the more angry I get. I'm seriously PISSED OFF right now!

Anonymous said...

In referance to j___n - all i gotta say is "sound the beige alarm"


As for the drilling at 4am... u should complain abaout that... there is a little guidline or rule or even LAW! about noise polution at Graveyard Hours