Monday, October 31, 2005

OH HAPPY DAYS

offset_bsp02

One of my happiest days in my memory was when I was about 5 or 6 and I went to Toy-R-Us with my mom and I got a $2.99 Lego space man set. I remember it vividly. It was this set here. I remember my mom telling me to wait untill I got home before I opened it in case I lost one of the peices. Of course I didn't listen, opened it, lost one of the peice but it didn't matter. They used to include a few extra peices of the ones you'd lose easiest. I wonder if they still do that? I also remember hating that set a few years later because it was old and therefore not cool anymore. I smashed it all up so I wouldn't confuse the parts with the new ones.

Now I wish I didn't. I tried to find it the other day, and only found a dented helmet and the long since worn away body. Kind of sad I guess. A metaphor for youth? When you're young you hate it, now that you're not, you regret hating it and yearn for it again. Or maybe not.

But if anyone is thinking of giving me a really thoughtful and generous gift, HINT HINT.... you can buy them on eBay for about $0.99. I saw one set for 1 pence.

IESSO

PS. It says 1979 in the copyrights, but I don't know about that. I remember buying this set, it must have been about 1988 or 1989...

No comments: