Thursday, July 28, 2005

YOU HAD ME AT HELL-WHOA

whoa_small

I talking talking to Jen today (yesterday I suppose) about something I find REALLY odd, creepy, disturbing, but also amazing and mind-boggling.

You know pi? The number? 3.1428561....... whatever. It goes on for infinity aparrently. Well lets just say it does for the sake of this post, but it can work for any number as long as it's infinity long. Alright, so we've got out infinite number and we write it down, it's infinite length, and then we look at the number. We assign a letter to each number, 1 = A, 2 = B, 3 = C, etc, and we assign the combination of numerals 1+0 to equal J, 1+1 equals K, etc, and the combination 2+7 to equal . or whatever. So we've translated every number and number combination to every character and letter in our language of choice.

That's all fine, it's only when you start reading the string of infinite number/letters that things get all f*cking weird. So you come across a set of numbers that read: 3120 which can be read as CAT. You begin to find words. And then sentences. And eventually a book. And because it's infinite the possible combinations are infinite and you might find THH CAT and somewhere else you might find THE CAT, and eventually you will find every book that has ever been written.

Worse still you can find everything you've ever said, written in the infinity of pi. AND you can find everything you ever will say. And everything that ever could be said. Every thought, every single thing in the universe that can be described in words can be found in pi. But it's not like you have to search for these things and make them up. No. pi is a constant number. pi has existed forever. Everything EVER has existed since physicality existed. Ever since there were circles, there has been pi, therefor everything.

Now I'm not saying it's fate, or life is predeterminned, but it certainly is prerecorded, written there for everyone to read if they try hard enough. The history of the universe, whether it's truth or fiction and both, all creative thought, the sweet-nothings you wispered in your loved ones ear, the prayer you made in silent, you deepest darkest desires and fears, all written there, in a humble number, that sounds like and looks like it would be quite tasty.

Ok, so this is rather a pointless and DEEP post, but hey, I kinda am feeling that way today.

IESSO

PS. In other news I've been disqualified from the GoogleAdSense program for apparently breaching their rules about me clicking on the links myself. In my defense however I was only clicking on them because they were useful, not to scam the system. Oh well, I made a whopping $1.01 anyway, which I will never see.

Gummy Bear

PPS. I think I might genuinely hate threadless.com . Yes, I do, it's official. I hate it. The graphic style is not cool. It's pretentious and annoying. It's monotonous and as Will called it "sell-out" it appeals to lowest common denominator style quirkiness. Dinosaurs, Lego, Vespas, etc etc. Where is the innovation the claim to promote? I don't see it. Do you.

And that basically sums up my frustration with t-shirt fashion design. Are original concepts cool? I say yes, originality is cool. But I don't think that it sells nessarily. Do you appeal to a small group of specific taste? Or do you make generic styles that most people kinda like, but not really get passionate about. I don't know. Maybe it's just me or something,, maybe I'm just no good at design or something, but I really hate t-shirts at the moment. They piss me off. REALLY, REALLY piss me off. In fact I'm genuinely mad right now! I know!? It's 5.22am, and I'm actually pissed off! It makes no sense whatsoever, but it's true.

PPPS. The reason I mentioned threadless was cuz of the gummi bear. I was comparing my style to their styles and, really, they're nowhere near similar. I could possibly change me style to suit their needs and style, but frankly I don't really want to. I think I'm sick of roaming the design streets, looking for 'Johns'. My design whoring days might be drawing to a close. I know, I know, where can you go if you want some corporate ID in five minutes, not here anymore baby! No way. This boy is comprimising his morals no more! For the next 8 months anyway. No more pandering to please anyone, I'm designing till I'm happy with the design, if the client doesn't like it they can f*ck off! I don't care. Damn you threadless, damn you to hell! This is entirely your fault. I may have had this coming, but you triggered it!

RANT OVER NOW. Sorry about that.

PPPPS. Can you guys PLEASE gimme some feedback on these issues? In particular Linus on both topics, particulary the top infinite number topic AND the threadless topic, I am interested in your response from a religious standpoint, and a fan of threadless standpoint. Also Dermot because of his fashion stylings and general coolness persuasions which sometimes are the same as mine, and sometimes WAY off. Also Elvira because she's so damn cool, she'd know whether I make a valid point or not. And anyone else who reads, possibly Glen, but he doesn't normally post, so I'm not expecting anything but something would be nice.

Ok, that was quite possibly the longest post to date.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fook that pi shit is cool - oi with the gummy situation . . . im liking the turq colour with the pink and the bubbles make him more gummy and dont go for the line of gummy bears just the one - hes awesome enough to stand alone in his moment of disaster...k boi!

Anonymous said...

Also . . . just thinking to make him look even MORE gummy - instead of our idea of maybe the horizon line make it so you can slightly see his shadow through his body cause at the moment you cant.

Elliott Scott said...

MULLETINO: Ok, so I had it where you could see the shadow through him, but it mustn't be strong enough. I'll up the ante.

LINUS:
Post whore ideas don't exist. However there is hope. And where there's hope there's hope. Uh. Wait, that made sense in my head anyway.

I don't think pi does repeat, but yeah it doesn't matter anyway, any infinite number will do.

Anonymous said...

i have a screen printing kit.. let's infiltrate the screen printing studio and we'll make cool shorts.


i have this weird thing on my neck...
i wonder what it is...
i keep touching it but it won't go away..

i think it's growing bigger, but i only noticed it a few days ago.

maybe it's alive... and secretly mocking me when i'm not paying attention.

shorts are cool.

Anonymous said...

I don’t understand this whole design contest – it’s stupid. Why not use www.spreadshirt.com? They offer extremely easy to use designer program that will just knock you off your feet – just combine it with extremely high quality of products and you can have the t-shirt you ever wanted in a matter of minutes. You can open your shop for free and sell your designs to others, they take care of everything – you receive your checks. It’s extremely easy, check it out.

Elliott Scott said...

Ken, if you're a marketing tool, that's ok, just admit it now. At any rate that sounds so insanely perfect it boggles my mind. Shirley there's a major catch like I have to give them my first born son or something.

Thanks for the anonymous tip-off. I owe ya one.

Will, shorts suck.

Elliott Scott said...

Yeah, ok I checked out spreadshirt, there are some SERIOUS limitations.
1. Digital printing = ultra shit.
2. Screen printing only availible in 2 colors, which isn't THAT bad.
3. I think it might only be for US and Can residents.
4. That designer program which "will just knock you off your feet" is laughable at best.

Ok, so there are some limitations. BUT within those limitations is some serious potential to do well. I really appreciate your suggestions Ken. Thank you very much.

Elliott Scott said...

Actually there is ANOTHER huge limitation. It isn't actually screenprinting. The staff CUT-OUT the colours and stick them onto a shirt. Um. Yeah. Kinda skeptical about it all, but if it really is free then I guess I don't have anything to loose.

Elliott Scott said...

Ke, the good thing about the threadless competition is a guaranteed $1000 if you win. So yeah, it might pay off, it might not, but the rewards are higher through threadless.

Anonymous said...

So I was telling the pi theory to the liveworm gang and some of them not only didnt get it, they totally didn't believe me. They ask for proof! Did scientists ask Isaac Newton for proof? Or Charles Darwin? I didn't think so! Bi-ahtch